CardPricer Forums

• CommentAuthordornfejo
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2009

I have alot of baseball cards from when I was a kid. Most of them are from 1969-1971. My question has to do with grading the condition of the cards. what makes a card an 8 or a 9 etc. What's the best way to go about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorblacksoxfan
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009 edited

Hi Dornfejo,
    I apologize for the delayed response. I have been away from the forums for the past day. Authentication companies have popped up in the last 15-years (give or take). These companies take the cards, evaluate them, and then encapsulate them into a sealed holder. The cards are assigned a grade that is either between a 1 and a 10 or equivalent to that. While each authentication company has their own standards, they all try to be in line with one and other.

We report sales from the major authenticators. Thus, when you see a value in the "All" column, that is an average of the sales for that card in a given condition, regardless of the grade.

You can learn more about the individual grading companies on their respective websites.

If you'd like me to help you through the process, I will be happy to help. Authentication services do cost money, so not all cards are "worth" getting graded. In addition, if you aren't planning on selling the cards, there might not be much value in the service.

Thanks for checking us out!

Content Management System Tracking